With its foundation stone laid by W E Gladstone in 1877, Nottingham College finally opened its doors in 1881. It was to expand rapidly in the period following the First World War, until overcrowding presented a real problem. A generous benefactor’s donation of 35 acres of land at Highfields proved the solution and the move to the new premises built on this site was made in 1928. Opened by King George V, it was to see many more luminaries treading its halls. » Read more..